Organic Waste Diversion and Compostable Materials Laws and Regulations
This page is intended to provide quick and easy access to state and municipal laws and regulations regarding organic diversion and compostable materials. It is not intended to be all inclusive, nor is it intended to provide legal advice and/or safe harbor. It is recommended that you check with your local government to ensure you're in full compliance of all recycling laws and regulations.
- AB 1826 (2014) - organic recycling mandate. Learn more.
- AB 341 (2011) - statewide zero waste mandate for 2020. Learn more.
- AB 2449 (2006) - statewide single use plastic bag ban. Learn more.
- AB 1972 (2008) - "biodegradable" plastics must be certified compostable by ASTM (or similar) for yard debris collection. Learn more.
- 310 CMR 19.000 (2014) - organic material waste ban. Learn more.
- HF 430 (2010) - compostable bag mandate. Learn more.
- HF 2564 (2014) - statewide solid waste source reduction goal established. Learn more.
New York City:
- Local Law 146 of 2013 - commercial organic waste ban. Learn more.
- Local Law 77 of 2013 - Curbside Collection program. Learn more.
- SMC 21.36.082 and 21.36.083 (2014) - food waste ban in City of Seattle. Learn more.